Thursday, December 27, 2007

She was a sharp dressed man.



16 x 21.5 cm
Found black and white photographs, red thread, red pen

I have always been interested in women dressing as men. Pushing the boundaries of fashion not to mention women attempting to pass as men - historically there are so many examples. I was reminded of these thoughts a few nights ago when I watched "La Vie En Rose" - about the life of Edith Piaf. There is a scene in the early part of her life when she and her half sister Momone (Simone Berteaut), are hanging out at a cabaret and she (Momone) has a penciled-in mustache and is wearing a man's suit. The film reminded me that I have always thought it would have been so interesting to be in Paris in the 1920's and 1930's. So here she is - looking like a sharp dressed man.
(This title is dedicated to S.B.)

No comments: